Part 2: The Second Half
Personal Data Ecosystem Consortium had a busy 12 months. Here we are at the end of the year, and we wanted to catch you up. This is Part 2, a recap of the second half of 2011. PDEC people and Startup Circle companies are in bold.
PDEC Events, Publications and Speaking Activities: Through November 2011
Cloud Identity Summit
July 2011 – Denver, Colorado
PDEC kicked off our Value Network Mapping Project with Verna Allee of the Value Networks, LLC, with the support of Ping Identity. Kaliya Hamlin and Verna Allee worked with people attending the conference on a first draft of the map to show how the ecosystem works currently online. Work continued after the event, with a report to be forthcoming.
NSTIC (National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace) Governance Notice of Inquiry Submission
July 22, 2011
Kaliya Hamlin submitted a personal response to the NSTIC NOI. You can find it here (PDF).
O’Reilly Strata Online
July 12, 2011
Kaliya Hamlin moderated a panel called: Platforms for Personal Data with Evan Prodromou from Status.net, Tara Hunt from Buyosphere.com, and Eric Lagier from MemoLane.
PDEC Value Network Mapping Meeting
August 3, 2011 – San Francisco
Kaliya Hamlin, Verna Allee of Value Networks LLC, & Mary Hodder met with Peter Vander Auwera of SWIFT, Dan Miller of C3, Drummond Reed, Doc Searls of The VRM Project, Craig Burton, Tony Fish (PDEC Board Member), Phil Wolfe of Data Portability Project and Nitin Shaw. The group met to work again on the current state of value online, as documented in the Value Network Map Project, started in July.
Sibos, SWIFT’s Annual Event
September 20-24 – Toronto
Mary Hodder spoke at SIBOS about a new Digital Asset Grid that SWIFT would create to open the infrastructure for Personal Data, away from proprietary Silos to one where anyone could share personal data in a controlled and secure manner, with proper rights, and accountability.
IIW 13 was a great success!
October 17-19, 2011 – Mountain View
- PDEC’s New Legal Advisory Board took shape with Judi Clark Chairing the effort. Notes from Judi’s andMary Hodder’s IIW session are here.
- Kaliya Hamlin hosted a session for big companies interested in Personal Data. We will be following up and exploring developing workshops for those companies.
- Customer Commons was created the day before IIW started with a group ranging from Doc and Joyce Searls to Craig Burton, Judi Clark, Joe Andrieu, Mary Ruddy, Mary Hodder, Drummond Reed, Britt Blaser, Markus Sabadello, and others. Customer Commons has evolved from the work at Project VRM, by Doc Searls and a large active community of VRMers. PDEC will be collaborating closely with Customer Commons. PDEC’s collaboration will help companies offer early access to new Personal Data products to individual members to get feedback and early adoption from those folks very interested in the space. Notes from the working session are here.
- Markus Sabadello held a session on PDEC Technical Documentation and Interoperability. Notes are here.
- IIW opened Thursday with “Yukon Day,” and many Startup Circle members and all of the companies doing something around personal data participating and sharing how they fit in to an overall ecosystem landscape.
- Kaliya Hamlin hosted a session on a Personal Data Ecosystem overview.
- Mary Hodder worked on a diagram showing the range of organizations stewarding aspects of the Personal Data Ecosystem. A small version is below, but you can click through to read about all the orgs working on technical, market and policy for personal data, as well as the individual initiative led by Customer Commons. This diagram was first shared at IIW at the Final day closing session and iterated in the weeks following with input from Kaliya Hamlinand Judi Clark. The organizations listed in this diagram are working on different core foundational missions and working together to bring the PDE about more quickly.
International Women in Digital Media Summit
October 23-25, 2011 – Ontario, Canada
Kaliya Hamlin presented about the emerging Personal Data Ecosystem and participated in a panel about new media literacies, including identity and data management. While in Toronto she met with Aran Hamilton who played a leadership role in the “Canadian NSTIC” and began planning an IIW-Satellite event there in February.
W3C Technical Plenary and Advisory Committee – Federated Social Web Group
November 1, 2011 – Santa Clara, CA
Kaliya Hamlin participated in the first face-to-face meeting of the group and was part of the small group who revised the identity charter that had been proposed to a much narrower scoped Web Cryptography Charter.
November 9, 2011 – The Hague
Several Startup Circle companies participated at an open space afternoon where personal data topics were a big topic.
New Digital Economics
November 10, 2011 – London
Kaliya Hamlin was on a panel to discuss the Personal Data Ecosystem with 3 startup Circle members:
- William Heath, Founder & Chairman, Mydex
- Marcel Van Galen, CEO/Founder, QIY
- Luk Vervenne, CEO, Synergetics
Along with: John Harrison, Personal Information Brokerage, Herve Le Jouan, CEO, Privowny, and Richard Benjamins, Director of User Modeling, Telefonica Digital. See Kaliya’s post about these two sections of her trip. She presented the Personal Data Ecosystem Landscape.
pii – Privacy Identity Innovation – Venture Forum
November 15 – Palo Alto
Mary Hodder, PDEC’s Chair, was on the closing panel, “Owning Online Identity: Consumer-Managed Data” about business models for a Personal Data Ecosystem, with Startup Circle companies: Jason Cavnar, Co-founder, Sing.ly and Shane Green, Co-founder, President and CEO, Personal. The panel also included Todd Cullen, VP Data Alliances at Acxiom, and Fatemah Khatibloo of Forrester, who moderated the discussion. Most sessions were blogged by Judi Clark at Digital ID Coach.
November 22, 2011 – Brussels
Kaliya Hamlin presented on pseudonyms and identity on November 22, 2011 in Brussels.
Upcoming Events for 2012:
Next events to see PDEC folks:
IIW-Satellite Events for 2012:
- Washington, DC – January 17th
- Toronto Canada in early February
- ID Collaboration Day (IIW/IDCommons / OASIS IDTrust / Kantara Initiative) – February 27th
- Sydney Australia the week of March 20th
- IIW #14 May 1-3 in Mountain View
- IIW #15 October 23-24 in Mountain View
- SXSW – March, 2012
- Gartner Identity and Access Management Conference, London, March 13th
- NIST IDTrust Conference, Washington DC, March 15th
- pii – Privacy Identity Innovation – May 14-15, 2012